Sunday, February 7, 2010

Thank You, Joseph Mbele

Prior to leaving for Port Elizabeth the professor Joseph Mbele from Wisconsin came to CSB to speak about cultural differences between, primarily Eastern Africa and America. One aspect that stood out to me in his speech and his book ("Africans and Americans: Embracing Cultural Differences") was the value of relationships.



He told a story that lent insight into why Africans are often late to functions most Americans would interpret as rude or disrespectful: when an African is on their way to this function and they see someone they know, the person comes first and may ask many questions "how is your mom?" "how is your cousin, I heard that his bike broke did he get it fixed?" etc. Americans on the contrary, would wave in passing and explain quickly they have a meeting to attend. After comparing this generalization I become comforted when a business opens later than expected, or a bus just never shows up or friends arrive an hour later than planned.


An additional example was the comparison of meeting with friends. In America you always alert someone when you are going to stop by their house. Most people would be partially confused if you just showed up unannounced and stuck around for hours or even longer. However, in most of Africa this is desired by friends and family. There is no need to call, no need to alert the person. So the night before when I "planned" to have a relaxing evening ten friends showed up from the Dunes around seven and hung out with us until half past eleven. I was tired so I fell asleep after they left and then when I awoke everyone was at our flat and they hung out until one the next day.

When I left the group to type some of my thoughts and check my e-mail for ten minutes, Mike came and asked me "Haley, why are you out here alone. Sitting alone is never a good thing." So I then rejoined the group. This was rather ironic since I was in the middle of typing this, but it just goes to show that this is very alive here and it is beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the author of the book, Africans and Americans: Embracing Cultural Differences, I am glad you liked it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete